Chef2Chef Forums

Shallot Size
13 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Results  1 to 10 of 13  « Prev 1 2 Next » 

Posted By:   TGIDinner   (Line Poster - 395 posts)
Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 08:25 PM

Hi There,
What size is the average shallot supposed to be? Mine are about the size of a medium bulb of garlic and I have a recipe (M.Stewart's Carmelized Garlic & Shallot Pasta) that calls for 14 shallots, to be thinly sliced and carmelized w/ three head of garlic. I only have six and I think I'm going to go with that but I'd like your opinions on the average size of a shallot. Thanks!

Re: Shallot Size

Posted By:   Limey   (Sous Poster - 950 posts)
Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 08:44 PM

I've seen shallots the size of a pool ball, golf ball, large marble etc, so I guess I'm saying they come in a variety of sizes.

It also depends on what variety of shallot you have. Torpedo shallots can be about the length of your middle finger and twice as wide.

This probably hasn't helped much...can't seem to think straight this afternoon....
The height of stupidity...is 6' 1"

Posted By:   attie   (Toqued - 2374 posts)
Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 08:57 PM

Yep, youv'e got shallots, are they fresh with stems or just the dried bulbs? use up portion of the stems if they are fresh.
HEY LIMEY out of bed EH! - the golf ball size suckers we call spring onions and we spell shallots - eschallots - just trivia
"We are happy little vegemites --- happy as can be.

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 09:09 PM

the golf ball size suckers we call spring onions

Really...? Back home, even here, 'spring onions' are known as 'green onions' or 'scallions'. The German tranlsates as 'spring leek' - just some trivia

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 09:33 PM

Thank you LIMEY - you may get dressed and go to work now

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 09:38 PM

They're dried-not fresh with stems and they're just a little smaller than golf balls. Hope the balance between the sliced garlic (1 cup's worth-sorry no metric translation from me) and the 7 shallots I have will be okay. Of course I'm experimenting on friends tonight, which makes it even more fun!

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 09:55 PM

1 cups worth of sliced garlic - wholly smokes - hope their GOOD friends and a lot of them - sounds like your in for a fun night - onya mate

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 09:59 PM

I totally agree-all that garlic & shallots to just 1lb farfalle. It is going to be carmelized and cooked in broth for over an hour but I'm a little nervous.....Thanks for your timely replies, I'm doing the mis en place right now and the croutons are in the oven for the salad. Would you cut back on the garlic if you only had 7, albeit large, shallots?

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 11:27 PM

I might cut back a little on the garlic, but at the same time, I might roast the garlic in a little olive oil to get that slightly sweeter (?) roasted flavour.

Then you can use the garlic oil for something else (to drizzle on the pasta when served maybe)

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 11:29 PM

Also, I've never used dried shallots before. Let me know how it turns out!

Posted On:   Friday, January 2, 2004 11:52 PM

Okay, now I think I may be talking about something different than you. The shallots I have, I got in the produce section of the market, next to the garlic bulbs. Sometimes they're in a little mesh bag, sometimes they're loose. Are we talking about the same thing?
Results  1 to 10 of 13  « Prev 1 2 Next »