Chef2Chef Forums

daisy martinez 'secret ingredient' mexican flan
6 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Miss L   (Line Poster - 105 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, November 6, 2005 03:34 PM

okay, so i caught a couple of minutes of her show yesterday and she was making 'mexican flan' with a 'secret ingredient' ---the ingredient being Nestle's table cream. she was so exhuberent about the results that now I CANNOT REST until i have the recipe... did anyone catch it?

Re: daisy martinez 'secret ingredient' mexican flan

Posted By:   cjs   (C2C Ambassador - 12116 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, November 6, 2005 06:48 PM

Well Miss L, I don't know about Daisy's, but this is my Mexican Flan recipe that is absolutle wonderful - maybe someone else can help, but it not, here tis -

* Exported from MasterCook *

CREAM CHEESE FLAN (FLAN DE QUESO)

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via A Century of Ortega Classics
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup granulated sugar
12 oz. can Carnation Evaporated Milk
14 oz. can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened, cut into chunks
5 eggs

Place sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 min. or till sugar is dissolved & golden. Quickly pour into eight 10-oz. custard cups,* tip cups to coat bottoms and sides with sugar syrup.

Place evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk & cream cheese in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until smooth. Add eggs; process till well mixed. Pour mixture into prepared cups. Place cups in two large baking pans; fill pans with hot water to 1" depth.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 min. or till knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool for 30 min.; chill for several hours or overnight. To serve, run small spatula around edges of cups; gently shake flans to loosen. Invert onto serving dishes to serve.

Description:
"You can make it up to two days ahead."
Source:
"A Century of Ortega Classics"

NOTES :
*To make one large flan, use one 2-qt. casserole dish instead of custard cups. Coat with melted sugar syrup & pour milk mixture into dish as above.
Place dish in large baking pan; fill pan halfway with hjot water. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 60-70 min. or til knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, Chill; invert as above onto a platter. Slice into wedges.
CJ aka jean
for a fun journey in foods, please click on
achefsjourney.com

Posted By:   momgeetoo   (Line Poster - 156 posts)
Posted On:   Monday, November 7, 2005 08:46 AM

I have it, but I'm not sure where I put it. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and I printed it instead of copying it to a file.

It looks like it will be a great recipe. I'll post it tomorrow as soon as I can locate it.

Julie

Posted By:   momgeetoo   (Line Poster - 156 posts)
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 8, 2005 10:04 PM

Here you go. Sorry it took a while to find it because I had written in on a scratch pad.
As a lot of the TV cooks do, Daisy left out the quantity of one of the ingredients. She didn't tell how much sugar to put in the Caramel. I sent her a quick note but didn't get an answer back so.... I checked out about 8 recipes and they all said 1 cup so I improvised.

Good Luck,
Julie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flan

Daisy Martinez

Caramel Topping
2Tbsp water
1 c sugar
Put in heavy saucepan or skillet and cook over medium heat without stirring, until golden and the bubbles die down. Be sure to wipe down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming. When golden, pour into a pie plate and rotate the plate to coat the bottom and sides of the pan with the caramel. Be sure to work quickly as the mixture will cool and get firm as you spread. .

Crema Fresca
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened and condensed milk
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
1T vanilla
1 can Nestles media crema  (table cream)

Boiling water for hot water bath

Put everything, except boiling water, into a blender and blend well. When blended, pour over the caramel in the pie pan.

Place the pie pan into a roasting pan with sides that is large enough to hold the pie pan comfortably. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan so that the water comes to half way up the sides of the pie pan. Place immediately into a 350�F oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the flan barely jiggles when shook. .

When cool you can serve or place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

To serve, lightly run a knife around the sides of the flan to make sure it does not stick and invert onto a deep platter, shaking lightly if needed to dislodge the flan. If you shake too hard it will break.

Garnish with whipped cream.

Posted By:   cjs   (C2C Ambassador - 12116 posts)
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 8, 2005 10:37 PM

MissL - I forgot to mention, whichever flan you make, it's a good idea to put the dish (for the flan) in the oven for just a few minutes before the sugar dissolves - it makes it much easier to roll the caramel around the bottom.

have fun, I love flan!!
CJ aka jean
for a fun journey in foods, please click on
achefsjourney.com

Posted By:   Miss L   (Line Poster - 105 posts)
Posted On:   Wednesday, November 9, 2005 12:25 AM

thanks y'all. i've printed both recipes and am going to try both.

Re: daisy martinez 'secret ingredient' mexican fla

Posted By:   Lov2Cook   (Fresh Meat - 3 posts)
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 15, 2005 09:46 PM

Leyla this is the flan recipe my grandma made for as long as I can remember (im 53 lol)
1 qt of milk (straight whole or for a richer flan use 2 cups evaporated milk undiluted and 2 cups whole milk)
4 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
2-3 cinnamon sticks (good quality)
4 one inch (approximately) pieces of lime (not lemon) rind
1 T good vainilla
1 can condensed milk (or 1 C sugar)
1 C granulated sugar to bathe the mold

1.- simmer the cinnamon and lime rind in the milk
2.- beat the 4 whole eggs plus the 4 egg yolks, mix in the condensed milk or sugar, temper and add to the milk strain all the mixture, aromatize with the vainilla and pour in the caramelized mold (could be individual molds )
Cook in the oven 325 degrees in a water bath for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean

Caramel
1 C sugar
place in non stick pan or if preffered my grandma used to melt the sugar in the same mold she would use to bake the flan.
We didn't use water or anything else just heat the sugar gently untill it turned a med amber color (no more it countinues to turn darker after you take it off the heat)

The lime rind gives the fla such a delicious over tone just delicious then you can call it Leyla's secret <>
Which ever version you choose I hope it fills your expectations Bon Apetit

here is the individual one, so pretty and so practical. Notice how smooth the body is and how shiny the top

now look at the body of this one how dimpled it is, that is because it is ither overcooked or cooked at too high a temperature or both