Chef2Chef Forums

Can Food Processors Dice Vegetables Well?
20 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Results  1 to 10 of 20  « Prev 1 2 Next » 

Posted By:   maxplanck   (Fresh Meat - 4 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:33 PM

Can food processors dice vegetables as well as you can using a knife? For example, when I dice a tomato or an onion with a knife, i wind up with roughly cube shaped tomato pieces. Are there any food processors that can come close to this? If so, can all of the cuisinart and kitchen aid food processors do this? If not, can you tell me which ones can, or at least what type of blade is required for good dicing? One time i used a friend's food processor and i was really disappointed, it just shredded what you put into it... nowhere near diced, i wound up with a bunch of mush instead of nice diced vegetables. I think that i might have been missing the dicing blade though, if there is such a thing... Thanks, any he   More>>

Can food processors dice vegetables as well as you can using a knife?

For example, when I dice a tomato or an onion with a knife, i wind up with roughly cube shaped tomato pieces. Are there any food processors that can come close to this?

If so, can all of the cuisinart and kitchen aid food processors do this? If not, can you tell me which ones can, or at least what type of blade is required for good dicing?

One time i used a friend's food processor and i was really disappointed, it just shredded what you put into it... nowhere near diced, i wound up with a bunch of mush instead of nice diced vegetables. I think that i might have been missing the dicing blade though, if there is such a thing...

Thanks, any help is much appreciated

<<Less

Re: Can food processors dice vegetables well?

Posted By:   bohica   (Toqued - 2099 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:41 PM

Welcome to C2C. Enjoy your stay. You will learn a lot. Now to help you with your question, I would have to say that even using the pulse button on the food processor is still not going to give you what you want.To use your tomato example, you would still end up with half mush and half unchopped tomatoes. If you are looking for a uniform dice, using the hand/knife method is still the way to go.
"The goal is not the final destination...grasshopper................The goal is the journey"

Posted By:   RodinBangkok   (Toqued - 1038 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 01:58 PM

I had a Braun processor at one time that came with all sorts of widgets and attachments, one of them was a french fry blade similar to this:

http://www.bizrate.com/foodprocessors/cuisinart-dlc-836tx-french-fry-disc--pid250766496/

I played with all the attachments about one time including this blade and never used them again.

I suppose you could use something like this to get carrots in a thick julienne, then you'd have to hand chop those to get a dice. This would work for root type veggies...maybe...but for tomatoes, no way you'd end up with puree. I'm with bohica, stick with a good chefs knife, you'll get the best results.
Rod

Posted By:   mark1   (Toqued - 3859 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 07:24 PM

I agree that automation hasn't come to the aid of the veggy dicer and if anybody knows any different, would love to know! Until then, it's a hand job.
Illegitimis non carborundum

Posted By:   SmokeyJoe   (Toqued - 1148 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 07:28 PM

They sell them here on this site, well there not machines but ive used them and they do cut prep time if your looking to knock out a salsa or something.

http://foodservice.chef2chef.net/restaur...icers/index.htm

Posted By:   SmokeyJoe   (Toqued - 1148 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 07:30 PM

oh, just dont let the animals get at it.

Posted By:   Derek Cooks   (Toqued - 3612 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 08:09 PM

Ya know, the actual slicing/dicing is a piece of cake. Peeling, de-seeding, washing, stemming, pitting...now THERE's a machine I'd like to see...
Play with your food!

Posted By:   Max_Xavier   (Toqued - 1524 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 09:28 PM

Can food processors dice vegetables well?

No.

But One place I worked had an attachment for a hobart mixer or grinder that would do a decent job at dicing in a few different sizes. I have never seen it anywhere else and am not even sure it was a hobart attachment. it was big and heavy but was a wonderful help when doing pallets of onions, carrots and celery etc....

Here is a link to a different machine that will do the job.

I am not sure how much space you would need at home or what type or power supply your need. but you can probably morgage it.
http://www.urschel.com/machines.php?mid=26
Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

----- Ben Franklin .

Re: Can Food Processors Dice Vegetables Well?

Posted By:   ChefJune   (C2C Ambassador - 9379 posts)
Posted On:   Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:11 PM

the short answer is no. No food processor dices anything.

However, when you have a lot of chopping to do, and it isn't essential that everything be exactly the same size, the food processor can be a great time saver. It does, however, take some practice to get it to work the way you think it's going to, and many people get frustrated with the fact that it's not "magic" and decide to fuggedaboutit."

OTOH, tomatoes are always going to be too fragile to put through a food processor unless you want a pur�e, unless they are not ripe, then they can be sliced,

The Cuisiinart Food Processor used to have a set of 12 optional blades that would allow the user to slice very thinnly and to make several different sizes of julienne. I don't believe the current owner of the company is marketing that set any longer, more's the pity. I still use my optional blades very frequently.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
www.feastivals.com

Re: Can Food Processors Dice Vegetables Well?

Posted By:   marcos001426   (Line Poster - 140 posts)
Posted On:   Monday, March 26, 2007 03:59 AM

At a hotel I used to work we had a kind of press that gave you rough dices 1/8 to 1/4 inches. the only thing was that you had to slice it then run it through. Wen we had large functions and what nots we used a tomato slice for our uniform cuts then we would "press them" through the machine. this doesn't help any but there are some hand held items out there. check with your restaurant supply store.
be one with the dark side padwan.

Posted By:   maxplanck   (Fresh Meat - 4 posts)
Posted On:   Monday, March 26, 2007 05:59 AM

They sell them here on this site, well there not machines but ive used them and they do cut prep time if your looking to knock out a salsa or something.

http://foodservice.chef2chef.net/restaur...icers/index.htm

This machine looks promising, and I am just looking to cut prep time... but $180!? This thing probably cost less than $10 to manufacture in china...

I'm going to make a new post asking for ppl's experience with vegetable dicers, thanks a lot for clueing me in to the appropriate terminology here!
Results  1 to 10 of 20  « Prev 1 2 Next »